Probably, a bit too late to be writing this article. After all the drama, all the nonsense, all the politics and all the violence, I feel nothing has come out which could be seen as a conclusion to the debate. Of course, expecting a conclusion in these matters itself a stupid thought.
So, the race to prove one's patriotism or nationalism begun with the JNU controversy row and it's still intact. I took so late to express my views over this matter is due to the fact that I was not able to have a clear opinion about the matter, earlier on. The JNU students were pushed in one corner by the media, which apparently sets all the opinions. Thus, common people naturally had this notion that the students are wrong, and the government is doing all the correct things. And then, we also had these videos coming out and circulated through social media. Videos which clearly indicated that those were fabricated. Later Kanhaiya Kumar was seen as a long lost hero, also by the media. This controversy (which actually should have been limited to the university without the government getting involved) was the first push which started this debate of national and anti-national. JNU was just another chirp for the media and food for the dramatic minds in our country. But what followed this is something that worries me.
Ever since I started understanding politics, I never came across such a situation where you can be judged and categorised as an anti-national based on a single statement or an act. This is something very new for me. I would even call this a virtual attack on the freedom of speech and expression. To be very precise and straightforward , it is 'anti-national' to speak out against the BJP. The party and it's supporters cannot tolerate any type of criticism against it. They and their very well managed PR comes up with a few creative pictures, videos, etc to brush away the actual criticism and bring in something very less practical and productive. Well, let's just go step by step. We have Mrs. Irani speaking in the parliament house explaining how patriotic she is and how the JNU students are wrong. I considered it their loss at the first place when a student issue needed to be discussed in the parliament. Then we had Kanhaiya's famous speech where he tried to touch all type of injustice in out society. This speech was never against the BJP, but the the level of intellect the ABVP/BJP possess made them take offence over this matter too. I believe, that in a democracy there are gonna be all types of people; which keeps alive the possibility of having the type of people who are pro-Kashmir. Some misleaded ones, while some due to the problems and injustice faced by them and their families. Yes, we as Indians should accept the fact that the people from the valleys do face injustice due to our government's policies. So, there will be outrage, there will be processions, there will be discontent, but the thing that will give air to this fire would be the violence and sadly the BJP government took the difficult way out. People like you and me who live a relatively peaceful life have a right to question. We have a right to question even the army of our country. With due respect to all the sacrifices made by our jawaans on the boundary, we are citizens of India and we can criticise the army wherever it's needed to. Doesn't make me less of an Indian. People should get one thing straight, Criticising the nation policies of the government, don't make me less patriotic!
This controversy and endless debates over news channels seemed to end when there was another statement by another right winged party. This time, the MIM. (I call it the mirror image of the BJP/RSS) Asaduddin Owaisi says he won't chant "Bharat Mata ki Jay". Now, okay. If you don't want to chant it, don't. These are things which are not supposed to be said in a rally. Indian political parties scarcely understand what's best for the people. Actually they do, they just fail to execute the right thing every time. This statement then gave rise to a huge stupid debate all over the country. Now, it seemed as if the only way left to express our patriotism was to chant "Bharat Mata ki Jay". And then, there were panels in a news room intentionally having a Hindu fundamentalist(RSS guy), a Muslim fundamentalist (MIM guy), a shouting BJP spokesperson, a so called intellectual and a Congressman (Just to increase the number of panellists). I never felt like watching those news debates. Discouraging, disappointing, are the adjectives which kind of define the feeling I get after watching those debates. Someone once said that, "Always keep religion and politics apart". We Indians never understand this, and thus, this anti-national debate took a communal turn. We in Maharashtra have farmer issues, we have student issues, we have economical issues, we have fertility issues (Mango, Jackfruit and cashew nuts which are a backbone of the konkani farmers, are completely gone and are hardly seen), we have all soughts of other problems; yet, what interests our CM is whether people are chanting "Bharat Mata ki Jay" or no. It's frustrating and sad to see that these are the main issues of our country.
Well, if speaking against injustice is anti-national, then I am anti-national. If criticising the government for the betterment the country is anti-national, then I am anti-national. If speaking up for the poor makes me anti-national then I am anti-national. If I demanding the boycott of religious fundamentalists is anti-national, then I am anti-national. If voicing out my opinion against the violence is anti-national, then yes I am anti-national. I don't feel the need to certify my nationalism or patriotism to anyone. I don't feel chanting any slogan can certify my patriotism. (Though, I love our National anthem and National songs) We are a democracy and forcing our beliefs on someone is something which I absolutely condemn. I hope the absolute freedom of every person should be restored and the living conditions of every citizen should be improved.
Jai Hind!
(Y)
ReplyDelete